This is the History of two remarkable regiments whose story is inextricably linked since the very beginning of tank warfare. They fought side by side many times and were both totally destroyed twice. They each won the only VCs awarded to armoured regiments in the Second World War. This is their story from the very first use of tanks at Flers in 1916 to the final laying-up of their Standard in Canongate Kirk in Edinburgh on 21 May 2013.
Sadly through amalgamations neither the Fourth nor the Seventh are today included in the British Army Order of Battle; but their heritage, their sacrifices and their battle honours live on, enshrined in the one remaining Royal Tank Regiment as parts of its own.
Major General (Retd) Sir Laurence New CB CBE